During the days of Jesus, it is estimated that Jewish oral law restricted at least 38 kinds of labor on the Sabbath and the activity of Jesus and his disciples was a violation of that law. Why was Saturday so important to the Jews for rest?
2:23-24, What did the disciples of Jesus do that was challenged by the Pharisees?
They were plucking heads of grain on the ______________, see Duet. 23:25 & Colossians 2:16.
2:25-28, What two arguments did Jesus make in defense of His disciples?
- The _____________ of David and his men eating the showbread,
- The Son of Man is _________ of the Sabbath. Would David ever be referred to as Lord of the Sabbath?
How did Jesus ultimately treat the Sabbath Law of Moses, in reference to Matthew 5:17?
The phrase “First Day of the Week” occurs eight times in the New Testament,
Name three events of the LORD, that are connected to the “First Day of the Week”.
- The Lord’s R________________, Mt. 28:1, Mk. 16:2-9, Lk. 24:1, Jn. 20:1-19
- The B____________ of B________ , Acts 20:7
- The Churches C_________________, 1st Corinthians 16:1-4
What day is more significant than any other day of the week in the New Testament? See Revelation 1:10
3:1-5, What two commands did Jesus give the man with the withered hand in the Synagogue on the Sabbath?
When Jesus asked Pharisees about good vs evil and life vs killing on the Sabbath, He must have had Isaiah 58:7-14 in mind, to put the idea of work on the Sabbath as something the Lord would do.
3:6, Who began to plot to destroy Jesus? The Pharisees together with the _________________