The Magi followed the Star of Jesus. The Shepherds followed the Angel’s words. But God had John the immersionist (the cousin of Jesus) prepare the way for Israel to listen and obey Jesus. Preparation in becoming a disciple is essential, if we want our obedience to be genuine and consistent.
In John’s Gospel 1:35-51 he names Andrew, Simon (Cephas/Peter), Philip and Nathanael. Jesus has already been baptized, (Mt 3:1‑17), and has been through a 40 day fast, has been strengthened by angels (Jn 1:19‑28), and now John sees Jesus at Bethany (Bethabara) other side of the Jordan river (Jn 1:29‑34). While John is preaching, he has Andrew, & the unnamed disciple pointed toward Jesus, later on near the Sea of Galilee, we see them being called again (Mt. 3:18-22). He makes more disciples later on & makes a commission later on. For now, he starts with five, we suppose that the unnamed disciple is John the writer of the Gospel, elsewhere referred to as the disciple whom Jesus loved, 13:22-25.
How can we be like them?
1. Admit your ignorance & curiosity: Luke 11:1 about prayer. Mark 4:10-11 about parables. Matthew 13:4-7 about the future. Mark 9:28 about our failures.
2. Share your experience of Him, whatever it may be: John 1:40-41. Who told James thebrother of John of Zebedee? Matthew was called directly by Jesus, but who told his brother James the son of Alphaeus?
3. Remember Jesus wants to know what your after and will show you the truth,John 1:38.
4. When we are derided, the best response is to invite investigation, John 1:46.
5. Call no man your Teacher (Rabbi), but only the Spirit & Word, Jn. 1:49 (Mat 28:8).
6. Deny yourself, Take up Your cross & Follow daily, Luke 9:23.7. Realize that following & knowing who Jesus is, and believing in Him are two entirely different things. Compare, John 1:35-42 & 2:11.
These are just some of the names His disciples called Him…
THE LAMB OF GOD, v29,36. Sacrificed for sins. Ex 12:1‑13, Isa 53:7, Ax 8:32, IPt 3:17‑19.
THE MESSIAH or CHRIST, (The annointed), implying royalty! Mat. 11:1-3, Lk 2:8-11, 26. Acts 9:22.
THE SON OF GOD, v34, 49. Promised fulfilled. Psa 89:24‑28, Jn 6:68‑69, 20:27‑31.
THE KING OF ISRAEL, v49. Leader of sinners. Jn 12:12‑15, Zeph 3:13‑17.
THE SON OF MAN, v51. Dan. 7:13-14, Ac 7:56, Rev. 1:13. (His favourite name for himself, used over 80 times)
LORD & GOD, John 20:28-29.
Conclusion: Jesus wants His real disciples to know what he accepts and expects them to be. He carried no menial titles and gave nothing less than the best, Jesus is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, Heb. 13:8.
Part TWO of Following Jesus…
Because of our transgressions and His wounds. We get peace from His chastisement.
Isa 53:4 & Ephesians 2:14.
Because of our iniquities and His bruising. We get healing from His stripes.
Isa 53:5 & 1Peter 2:24.
HEALING (spiritual & emotional)
Because of our ignorance and His self sacrifice. We get forgiveness from His burden.
Isa 53:6 & 1Peter 3:18.
Because of our oppression and His affliction. We get redemption from His blood.
Isa. 53:7 & 1Peter 1:18-19.
REDEMPTION (valuable worth)
Because of our injustice and His arrest. We get freedom from sin from His execution.
Isa. 53:8 & Acts 8:33-39.
FREEDOM (real strength to overcome sin)
There are several gifts Christ offers us, for which we should practice discipleship, the…
…SPIRIT OF CHRIST, Acts 2:38-39 & 5:32.
…MIND OF CHRIST, 1Corinthians 2:16 & Philippians 2:5.
…INTERCESSION OF CHRIST, 1Timothy 2:5 & Hebrews 8:1-2.
…REIGN OF CHRIST, Colossians 1:13 & Revelation 19:16.
…RESURRECTION OF CHRIST, John 5:25-29 & 11:25-26.
…GRACE & KNOWLEDGE OF CHRIST, 2Peter 3:18 & Gal. 5:22-23.
…PROTECTION OF CHRIST, Philippians 4:6-7 & Ephesians 1:12-13.
Your discipleship can be measured by your love for these gifts. Luke 7:46-50.